The 48th St. Gallen Symposium will take a look at the future execution of work, assess the impact as well as new possibilities that come with this change and inspire the participants to think beyond.
Create relevant content for a global community.
The St. Gallen Symposium Magazine seeks students with backgrounds in media to cover the 48th St. Gallen Symposium from 2-4 May 2018, where the topic of the debate will be “Beyond the end of work”. You have the opportunity to join an international team of young journalists and create visual elements and stories on our conference topic, all-expenses-paid (travel, board, and lodging).
You will be working with experienced editors from the United States and Switzerland. The outcome of this project will be a high-quality print magazine disseminated to more than 1,000 of the world’s most influential current and future leaders, including decision-makers in the fields of academia, business, politics, and society. On top of this, we will share the magazine’s most exciting articles online with thousands of followers on our various social media channels.
This short film, made by members of Magazine Team 2016, provides some insights and impressions with you:
Cover the diversity and depth of our debates & inspire the current and next generation of leaders.
The Magazine will cover the most fascinating aspects, stories and moments of the 48th St. Gallen Symposium: sessions, interviews with prominent speakers and in-depth reports about issues discussed at the symposium as well as behind-the-scenes features on the conference itself.
As no story is complete without fitting pictures, we are looking for illustrators who are capable to visualise key expressions of the articles and photographers with experience in event/conference and portrait photography.
Invest in your journalistic track record.
This project will add to your portfolio while giving you the opportunity to meet the world’s most inspiring young and future leaders, decision-makers, entrepreneurs and thinkers. Furthermore, experienced journalists as well as experienced designers from the United States and Switzerland will serve as editors and advisors. Ideal candidates should meet the following requirements:
- Excellent spoken English is a must
- Able to work within a tight deadline
- Eye for detail, able to work well alone or in a team
- An affinity for creative work
- Experience in illustrating economic or political topics
- Experience in conference or event photography and portraiture, with an ability to work under a tight schedule
You will stay and work in St. Gallen, Switzerland, from 29 April–5 May 2018. Pictures, visuals and visual stories will be due by 10 May 2018 at the latest. Furthermore, there will be online meetings in March and April 2018 to prepare for the work in St. Gallen. Please reserve time for preparation as it will make your stay in St. Gallen even more successful.
Don't hesitate, apply now.
Apply no later than Friday, 26 January 2018, to Mr Loïc Favre, responsible for communication, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and kindly provide the following documents.
For journalists, photographers and illustrators,
- a one-page CV, in English (non-native speakers, please present your English diplomas, certificates, and/or classes);
- a 300–500 word motivational letter in English explaining why you want to be part of the project and why you would be a good fit for the Magazine Team;
- all applicants should provide the name and contact information of a reference (professor or supervisor) who can speak about your ability to work under pressure and as part of a team.
For journalists only,
- please also include 2–3 brief story ideas relevant to next year's topic.
For illustrators only,
- present 2–3 visual stories you would be excited to create or support with visuals or pictures and a link to your portfolio.
For photographers only,
- include a link to a portfolio demonstrating experience in event and portrait photography.
We are happy to provide more detailed information or answer further questions. Feel free to contact us any time via email@example.com.